Tuesday 14 March 2023

USkTO 10x10 Workshops: Meet Your Instructors

As promised, here is the 10-instructor lineup for our 10 Workshops to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our Urban Sketchers Chapter! They will run the weekend of July 15-16, 2023 in the beautiful historic St. Lawrence Neighbourhood in Old Town Toronto.

Check the instructors out on Instagram:
Andrey Shmatnik @andreysh555
Hasib Shaheed @hasibushaheed
Isabel Santos @modellatura_art
Karlene Bland @karleneblandfineart
Kyra Crilly @ky_watercolors
Marek Badzynski @marekbad64
Mary Jo Ernst @mysteriousmannequin
Sonali Praharaj @sonalipraharajarts
Suzanne Aboushakra @yalla_suzanni
Yasir Hameed @yasirhameedarts



Kyra Crilly

Hi, I'm Ky. I actually haven't been sketching or painting my entire life, you didn't think I'd say that right? I believe that anyone can be creative if they have a few tools in their belt and the passion to try something new. With art, it's all about experimentation and finding a medium that speaks to you.

I love the combination of pencil, ink and watercolour - they organically work together and the looser you are the better the result. I rarely plan things out and I don't worry about whether I accomplished my goal - it's all in the process. That's kinda how I roll.





Sonali Praharaj

Sonali Praharaj is a visual artist and urban sketcher who enjoys painting cityscapes, landscapes, and everyday life routines through ink and watercolours. She is constantly exploring ways to capture urban and landscape elements together to create vibrant compositions.









Isabel Santos

Isabel is the artist behind Modellatura Arts. As a business graduate, she uses the left side of her brain for work and the right side of her brain to create art primarily in pen and ink with watercolors. Historic buildings, landscapes, and nature inspire her to draw.

She is an Etchr Studio Instructor and has conducted numerous demos for Derwent both online and in person. Aside from her involvement with the USk Toronto Chapter, she is part of the Urban Sketchers Org Membership Committee as the Regional Leader for North America. She mentors groups in the US and Canada who wish to become Official USk chapters.




Andrey Shmatnik

I am an Architect and drawing was a part of my professional education, however for many years I used to draw or sketch for my work only. In 2016 I learned about the concept of urban sketching, found the idea very appealing and a couple of months later joined Urban Sketchers Toronto, the meetup group at that time. Many sketchbooks have been filled with sketches and memories since and many amazing people met, both in person and virtually. My favorite subjects to sketch are city scenes, buildings and people. Urban sketching has become an important part of my life and the way to see and explore the world.






Hasibush Shaheed

I love sketching. I started sketching in 1996, I had a study trip to India as a student of architecture. It does not matter what tools or media I need to do the sketch—it can be pencil, charcoal, markers, ballpoint pen, or watercolour. My idea is to capture the moment with people and the environment I am  surrounded with. To capture the essence of light, colour, material or texture of any subject that I want to record in my sketchbook. The purpose of joining a group was to share and improve the skill that I already had and inspire new sketchers to cherish the beautiful urban set up we have around us.

I was an art instructor at BRAC university, Bangladesh. I used to demonstrate the sketching technique for the students of architecture. In Singapore at Raffle design school, I  taught my Interior Design students how to render with markers. In Canada I had some workshops demonstrating watercolour techniques for Waterloo and Kitchener Urban sketchers group, Toronto Watercolour Society.




Karlene Bland

My world consists of creating and teaching art, family, cooking, dancing and more art. I sketch in watercolours during fast-paced travels, oils and acrylics at other times. I have done abstract and hoarding artwork for condos, murals and commissioned paintings of people, houses and pets. I love participating in live painting events, won a few prizes during which I have learnt lots the hard way. I love sharing the process to help fast track your path, so you too can reap the joys of sketching the gems you encounter along your life’s journey!





Mary Jo Ernst

I joined USk Chicago in 2016 and soon became a Chapter Admin. I love being part of this supportive and generous group of artists. I use a variety of mediums however soluble inks and fountains are my biggest interest. I like to sketch fast and move around to get as many captures of time and place as I can.

Inks, especially soluble, are the perfect medium due to the easy, simple set up. Soluble inks allow spontaneity and many times, an unexpected result which in turn takes the pressure off to create a “perfect”. I love to teach others how to carry little and create more. It is never too late to learn something new.






Yasir Hameed

It was during my undergraduate studies in Architecture that I began painting and sketching on and off and ultimately stopped painting altogether for almost five years during graduate school. Then in 2019 urban sketching became my gateway back into the world of art and painting. Life, people, places, and landscapes inspire all my artwork. My subjects are typically everyday scenes that I find visually exciting and I aim to capture a mere 'slice of life.' I often focus on capturing the feeling of a scene by simplifying and telling a story rather than aiming for an accurate and descriptive reproduction.

In the studio I have explored various mediums including acrylics, oils, watercolours and so on. However, a large proportion of my plein-air work and urban sketches are either in watercolours or pastels. I use impressionistic and abstract elements to simplify complex urban landscapes. I use bold and vibrant colours and spontaneous mark-making to convey light, energy, and liveliness in my work - and pastels are an ideal medium for this.




Suzanne Aboushakra

Suzanne is an artist and an Ontario College of Teacher certified teacher, with over 20 years of experience teaching Art.

Suzanne is a member of the Richmond Hill Group of Artists, and has participated in juried and group shows. She completed an AiR at Mill Pond Gallery in August 2022. She participated in the Richmond Hill Art Walk 2022- exhibiting paintings in acrylic and watercolour. Her artwork was featured in a solo exhibition overseas, as well as in various group exhibitions throughout the years. Her paintings are in private collections. For over 10 years, Suzanne has been using pen and watercolours to put down on paper her impressions of the world around her. Her vibrant, semi-abstract urban sketches capture fleeting moments of people and places.




Marek Badzynski

Marek is an Architect that uses drawing and sketching to make own memories of place and time. His favourite pastime involves sitting in front of some urban landmark, inking sheets of paper with his favourite Fude ink nib, and painting them with watercolours. His subjects capture shape, light and contrasts of busy street life scenes, majestic buildings, decrepit back alleys, or of any place having an overwhelming mix of charm and character that can be put into a fast ink and watercolour sketch.

He teaches urban sketching for in-person gatherings in Toronto, Chicago, Ann Arbour and Jacksonville, as well as online groups in Canada, Poland, Italy, Argentina and USA. His online classes and demos are available directly on the Etchr Studio's web site, and throughout his Instagram feed under the handle of @marekbad64

No comments:

Post a Comment